Vetti Payan nin Vetti Pecchi

Thursday, June 29, 2006

Vetri Kodi Kattu

This is the list of my classmates who had been to abroad for work/studies.
Sriram
Venkat
Nihar
Subu Accenture
Azaghu HCL
Vijitha HCL
Arun Smy TCS
Ganesh Cybernet
Prakesh TCS
Tamizh TCS
Prabhakar TCS
Jack TCS
Andrew TCS
Arun Kmr TCS
Yoga HCL
Bubesh Satyam
Pradeep Syntel
Senthil
SaiKiran HCL

STATISTICS
TCS 7 HCL 4 Others each 1
In year 04-05 : 4+3
In year 05-06 : 11+1
Almost 1/4 of my classmates from CSE2K-04 PEC have gone abroad


I ever wondered how different would had been the experience for one when he steps into the other side of the world with no known names to call and friends to reach. The fun and excitement that one experiences out there is the pretext of the strange atmosphere that one has to survive in.
Wait a minute if u ask how can I comment on something that I have never been into, then u r probably right. This would be just my thoughts and imagination over it. Nevertheless I would say this is my blog and I enjoy writing crap.

Well who doesn’t dream to fly abroad, rite from the point when one visualizes his future He tries to fit in the word "onsite" somewhere in his career aspirations. And keeps dreaming for his day to come.
Well the good that matters for one, when he gets the opportunity is; the exposure, meeting diff people, and gets to goto new places which looks like heaven(just because he had not been there until yesterday), the sweet money. And the best of all damn good reasons, he becomes an elite member of the so-called "US Return Mamau".
For the first timers, going to onsite is more like a tour to enjoy than rather an opportunity to work. Infact the change as in currency, culture and much more, needs to be adapted at the new place. The food, communication, accessibility and most importantly family & friends are all compromised over the fact " I am making good money here".

And ofcourse working abroad makes you and your family proud. One would really admire the conversation that his mom makes out with their neighbours about the pleasant things, his son is doing around in the so-called "States". But apparently most of the time his son in US is actually trying to do things that are very different with interest of their parents.
It may be easy for one, to part his friends and family for a while and go abroad, because of the suspense thats gonna unfold for him out there, but for his family his absence is most haunting than the pleasure of seeing him become successful.

Its not just the onsite opportunity, worth mentioning here. I would also site the happenings after and before one fly’s to US.
The polambals, the anticipation, the dissatisfactions are all part of the job, while one longs for such an opportunity at work. For some it strikes very early making them miss out this seemingly weird but pleasant experience at work. But for some it takes really long.(Really really long), and they keep enjoying, being patient.
One of my workmate had to postpone his trip due to official reasons, which happened 3 times in a row and he gave up the next time when he was offered the opportunity once again,, funny!!!.

The Aftermath: I would not be very much surprised to see my friends not affected after being to a different place for a while. I do not know any of my friends who have changed their accent. I see my friends continue in plain fashion even after being to US. May be most of them had been there for short term trips and probably it needs more time and effort to change ones habit.


By reading this odd blog you would have guessed my interest over it. Yes I am keenly looking forward for such an opportunity in my career and kinda despo about it. I am longing to add my name in the list above. Strangely all my friends when asked about their feedback said "its very boring in US. Except for the money nothing is worth mentioning about the life in abroad." It makes me think about it.
But also it hurts me every time when someone from the non-IT asks my mother "Enna satish oru s/w engr. ne sonigae America lam poliya?" and my mother comes out with every possible reasons that she can tell, using the facts that I gave her to convince about the lesser opportunity at my current job.

Well atleast I have one good reason to still hold onto my aspiration. I believe I would rewrite this blog someday, when I reach US and have more to add to this article about my experience and fun. :-)



6 Comments:

  • Even my mom used to encourage me to go US.But I always feel living in another country will be boring and i'l surely miss India..So if its short-term Im Ok.But long-term a big NO.Its all luck and depends on the acquaintances u get there makes the life better there.Otherwise you may regret going there.There are more important things in life rather than money.

    By Blogger KP, at 5:10 AM  

  • Sure machi! You will reach US in short time da! Kep workin hard for tat!
    Wish you all the best for ur future endeavours!
    cheers
    Mouly

    By Blogger iamchandru, at 5:15 AM  

  • Satish, I have always felt that you were one of the more talented boys in our class. If someone of your calibre has not yet been abroad, then its only a matter of time.

    As for the US, yes it is difficult initially. But once you get settled, you'll really enjoy the standard of living. Your personality will change. Now I know I'm more polite and my accent has improved.

    Honestly, the absence of my family is not haunting me anymore. I talk to my mom everyday like I used to in Chennai. Only difference is that I won't be seeing them every weekend.

    But looking back, I didn't really enjoy those weekends in Pondy (I didn't even miss one). There were haunting memories of my college days, missed opportunities and a scattered family of my college mates. This is a new lease of LIFE...

    By Blogger Karthik, at 1:11 PM  

  • dai satish.. intha posta pathu ennaku azhugayae vanthudichida...
    dont worry kandipa nee onsite pola.. but enna pannarathu that would happen only at the age of 30 as said by the astologer.. :)
    Keep ur hopes high...

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:06 AM  

  • ellam antha "Bramha" pathukuvan

    By Blogger Satish Kumar H, at 4:32 AM  

  • hmmm....why blood...same blood
    Wish you will get in soon..

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home